Recollections of Chips and Scotland

The other day as I was sitting here at the computer writing, I suddenly had the strangest experience. I smelled these barbeque ring chips we used to eat all the time when my family lived in Edinburgh, Scotland…almost seventeen years ago now! It was only for one year and I was only six so my memories are fragmented but the ones I do have are good, happy ones(on the whole) and those chips were divine! Here are some recollections:

• Watching “Neighbors,” which Kyle Minogue starred in and listening to her record incessantly with my older sister
  • Getting lost in London for several hours after I lost sight of my family in the busy streets. A nice guy with a blue mohawk got me to a safe place along the side walk and just when I was about to be put in a taxi and brought to the police station, Tim, my older brother saw me and whisked me in his arms and back to my family! Yes, he was quite the hero that day!
  • Playing “murder in the Dark” with some friends down the street and hitting my head smack on a bed post
  • Performing plays such as “Sleeping Beauty” and “The Little Mermaid” in primary (grade) two and wearing my snazy school uniform which included a tie.
  • Seeing Fergi (then, still the Duchess of York) and not a weight watchers spokeswoman
  • Seeing Edinburgh Castle, walking in the Scottish highlands, the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Devon, etc
  • The Free Church of Scotland (a dead church in a spiritually dead country)
  • Moore house, which my younger sister pronounced “manure” house
  • Cold, damp, gray skies…when the sun shone in a blue sky, it was not to be taken for granted!
  • Black taxi cabs with seats that came out from the back of the driver and passenger side seats. Of course, there is always the steering wheel on the right hand side of the car…very weird to see for the first time!

That’s all I can think of for now! I will try to write a more exciting post later if I have the chance!

This entry was posted in Letter Rip. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Recollections of Chips and Scotland

1. Neo says:

Rose - Good post. Typo… It’s course. :p

Eye em eh grate spellher, whut our eu talkin a bout?

3. Neo says:

Black taxi cabs with seats that came out from the back of the driver and passenger side seats. Of coarse, there is always the steering wheel on the right hand side of the car…very weird to see for the first time!

4. Jordana says:

your memories bring sweet thoughts of my own UK memories to mind. cheers!

Precious memories, Susanna. Remember walking through the Duke of Buccleuch’s estate, and along the Firth of Forth to a little tea shop in Cramond?

6. Mella says:

Awww, nice post. It makes me want to go and look through my UK pictures & journal… =)

7. Rick says:

I once read that smell has the greatest associative ability for triggering specific memories. It’s odd how it works. Everyone takes pictures to remember events. What if you could buy vials of unique smell that you open during an event you want to remember. Then later, anytime you open that vial again you would remember back all of the memories very clearly.