The other day as I was sitting here at the computer writing, I suddenly had the strangest experience. I smelled these barbeque ring chips we used to eat all the time when my family lived in Edinburgh, Scotland…almost seventeen years ago now! It was only for one year and I was only six so my memories are fragmented but the ones I do have are good, happy ones(on the whole) and those chips were divine! Here are some recollections:
- Watching “Neighbors,” which Kyle Minogue starred in and listening to her record incessantly with my older sister
- Getting lost in London for several hours after I lost sight of my family in the busy streets. A nice guy with a blue mohawk got me to a safe place along the side walk and just when I was about to be put in a taxi and brought to the police station, Tim, my older brother saw me and whisked me in his arms and back to my family! Yes, he was quite the hero that day!
- Playing “murder in the Dark” with some friends down the street and hitting my head smack on a bed post
- Performing plays such as “Sleeping Beauty” and “The Little Mermaid” in primary (grade) two and wearing my snazy school uniform which included a tie.
- Seeing Fergi (then, still the Duchess of York) and not a weight watchers spokeswoman
- Seeing Edinburgh Castle, walking in the Scottish highlands, the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Devon, etc
- The Free Church of Scotland (a dead church in a spiritually dead country)
- Moore house, which my younger sister pronounced “manure” house
- Cold, damp, gray skies…when the sun shone in a blue sky, it was not to be taken for granted!
- Black taxi cabs with seats that came out from the back of the driver and passenger side seats. Of course, there is always the steering wheel on the right hand side of the car…very weird to see for the first time!
That’s all I can think of for now! I will try to write a more exciting post later if I have the chance!