In Flanders Fields

On this Remembrance Day or Veterans day, I want to remember a poem that all Canadians know well, even if many are not able to recite it by memory!(= It is written by Lt. Col. John McCrae of the Canadian Army, who died in the WWI but thankfully, left us with this beautiful, bittersweet poem. I look back fondly at this poem and wish oh so much that Americans would wear poppy pins(handed out by kind, elderly veterans) on and in the weeks before November 11 just as Canadians and the Brits do!! Let us remember the fallen today. “They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old./Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn./At the going down of the sun in the morning We will remember them”(The Ode).

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
to you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

~John McCrae

This entry was posted in Letter Rip. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to In Flanders Fields

1. Neo says:

Rose -Nice. I’ve read that poem before. Neo raises his cup to the armed forces

2. Rick says:

Go mounties! I’m sure I’ve mentioned this… but whenever I need a laugh I like to think about how Canada threatened the U.S. that if we didn’t go along with them they would pull their troops out of Iraq… turns out they had 2 units. I never heard, but I suspect they took their candy and went home. =)

Neo-Thanks…I’m surprised you’ve read the poem before! I guess it’s known outside Canada…cool!Dear Husband-You know those 2 units were the BACKBONE of the whole army!(; Because they left, America will never be out because their best defenses deserted them(or maybe the candy was just too tempting!!!)

4. Barbara Challies says:

One of the most beautiful war poems – or, for that matter, short and simple poems – ever written!

5. maryanne helms says:

susanna-a beautiful piece. I too miss Remembrance Day in the great white north…seeing everybody wearing poppies make your thanks seem more collective…

Thanks mom and Maryanne…I love it when family reads and posts on my blog!(= Love you guys!

7. Using up the words.... says:

Gosh… haven’t read that poem in years. Thanks for the reminder.We don’t celebrate rememberence day here – rather ANZAC day instead, which is in April. Had to Laugh at Rick’s comment – New Zealand has just as much clout. hehe. I say Take the candy! :)