The "Skinny" On Starbucks

I must admit that I am a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict. I buy a vanilla or holiday latte(pumpkin spice or gingerbread) about three times a week and may get a plain coffee in between those days as well. I feel more “intellectual” when walking around campus with a cup of steaming hot, foamy liquid in hand and feel more alert in class as well. If Starbucks is a cultural fad, I have joined right in with the best of them and would truly feel there was a void in my life (as there is in my/husband’s pocket book…but let’s forget that:) if this trend- setter coffee house disapeared. It is a quiet, cozy haven in the midst of a busy schedual or stressful day. No one is going to push you out if you stay there all day.
I do though feel it is my responsibility to warn all my fellow Starbucks junkies that there is a little website called www. starbucks.com where the nutritian content for every single drink and food is listed! You may want to continue living in a state of ignorant bliss but I encourage you to check this site out and think about skipping the whip cream(adds approx. 7 grams of fat to a drink) and choosing skim milk once and a while. If you only get black coffee or tea than there are no worries but if you are like me and prefer the specialty drinks, it seems the cappuccino is the best bet (below are listed a few popular drinks and their nutritian content). Anyhoo, keep on enjoying Starbucks and drink your health to the best reason for a coffee buzz around!

Cafe Mocha(with whip)
Fat Calories
Total Fat (g)
Saturated Fat (g)
Cholesterol (mg)
Total Carbohydrates (g)
Sugars (g)
P.S. Which is your favorite??!
This entry was posted in Letter Rip. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The "Skinny" On Starbucks

1. Neo says:

Rose -Ewww! Starsucks coffee is overpriced and nasty!Give me my Wawa coffee and I’m good to go. :)

It is overpriced! I’ll give you that much!!(:

3. the one with the hole in his wallet says:

Neo, I hope you don’t mean Waffle House by “wawa.” That’s not really coffee, that’s more like… black dirty water which has been heated.I actually prefer to make my own coffee drinks. For the price at starbucks 1: it should be knock you on your feet good and 2: every 2 drinks could get me a pound of coffeeMy favorite drink was at Cafe Intermezzo (spelling?), I think it was called a Mozart… straight esspresso with whipped cream on top. A really cool taste mix of sweet and bitter. =)

4. Mella says:

I’m a straight-up black coffee girl. I can never muster up the nerve to spend so much on a drink – but I can appreciate the sweet aroma of those specialty(calorie laden) drinks. I loved making them for people when I worked at a (very small, non-corporate) coffee house. It was my favorite job – all the free coffee I could guzzle and I went home every night smelling like java. (Unfortunately, my husband doesn’t share my coffee addiction, so my java-perfume was wasted on him…)

5. jana says:

My favorite is the Caramel Frappachino—I guess I like the frozen drinks, cause that is something I can’t seem to make the same at home…but, Starbucks is overpriced–I agree with NEO. Fun post though! Ahh–I miss my caffeinated coffee in the morning (soon though)!

6. Alina says:

ok, susanna, i know i am biased because starbucks is such a great placed to work. i too enjoy the starbucks, and if it weren’t for the fifteen lbs i put on in the first three months working there and getting free drinks on the clock i would say the pumpkin spice latte is my favorite. but since i am trying to cut back, i am a cappucino or a straight black coffee girl. alina

Thanks for letting me know your opinions guys and for coming back even though I’ve been so bad at posting as of late! And Alina, welcome and it’s great to hear from you! Maybe I should start working at Starbucks so I can get all the free drinks I want…the perfect job for me(:

8. Using up the words.... says:

I’m with Neo – though only for the overpriced bit – I should go and find out what they charge here in NZ, I’m sure you guys would FREAK!But my issue is more about the way that it is so globalised, and how the little dinky, individual, oozing with character coffee houses loose out to these chains that keep apearing EVERYWHERE!!I will forever go and find the hole in the wall that will soothe my soul with more than just great tasting java, but also inspire me with some character, and not just things to purchase so that you can have the “full” starbucks experience. hehehe.Each to their own though. :)(what a rant!)

Susanna, Yikes! I will continue to brew my own Costco brand, Starbucks-roasted brew – $5.99 for two pounds!

10. Neo says:

Rose -Heh, I’m as bad as you with posting today. Wawa coffee isn’t all that bad. I had to switch back to decaf, so the taste is way different.

Hmmmm…I guess I struck some nerves!(= I’m glad to see everyones thoughts on coffee though…just shows that even if Starbucks is not the thing for ya, coffee is still a precious comodity to most of us!!! Also, yes, I am bad at posting…thanks for reminding me!(:

12. Neo says:

Rose -Not sure if you’ll update today but I wanted to drop in and wish you a safe and happy thanksgiving!*hugs*

13. Using up the words.... says:

I’m sorry… it was a rant, not a rave….and I didn’t mean to dump it all there, really. hehehe.I used to work in a grabba jabba in Calgary. (Do you know it?) And the whole time I was there, I couldn’t drink coffee. ha. Lived on Chai’s though. yummmmmy. They would give me more of a buzz than coffee back then anyway.Anyway…. promise I’ll be better behaved from here on in.Hope the sun is shining between your toes. :)

14. david C says:

Soooo….. 2 Grande Lattes per day, 5 days a week, 47 weeks in a year (not including weekends and vacations). Total spent at Starbucks: $1527.50I am going to buy one of those $1100.00 Completely automated expresso makers and live la vida mocha at home.. LOL (no I am not an accountant, but I play one on TV)….