Comic Relief

My younger sister Grace has been going through some rough times lately. She’s dealing with the pain in a much calmer manner then I would be able to mind you but feeling it all the same.

Today my mom and I drove to Chattanooga to visit her during her lunch break and after finding a nice shady spot in a park to eat our sandwiches, dropped into some lengthily moments of silence. While I tried to act natural and preoccupied with eating, the lack of conversation was making me uncomfortable until suddenly, I had an epiphany of sorts;) A rather humorous story randomly came to mind. Needless to say, not only did this story clear the air but offered some much needed comic relief to the moment!

**Read on! This is a true story, though as I tell it, it seems like another lifetime ago!

About six years ago, I “dated”/saw this guy for about a week (yup, thankfully Rick was my first real relationship)! He had quite a past behind him including neglect, adoption, drugs and jail time but had become a Christian and was trying to get on his feet. So I, like many other girls, got pulled in by the “maybe I can further reform this guy” mode. Well, we started talking on the phone and it seemed clear he liked me. One Sunday night soon afterwards at a College group bible study gathering, I found out I was not the only girl he was interested in. To make a long story short, he chose me over the other girl, “Beth,” during a rather dramatic confrontation and not long afterwards, Beth overdosed on pills…at the bible study!! Well, before we knew it, an ambulance was at the scene along with a police car.

Here comes the best part…I had to help this guy, “Rob,” immediately escape the scene because, due to his few drug arrests from the past, he was afraid his record might be discovered that night and he’d be arrested again! Away we sped in the little red Honda Civic I had at the time (he didn’t drive or have a car;) and well, I became an innocent partner in crime. I was 18 and freaked out!

Grace had forgotten about this story and so, I made her laugh! I guess God knew then that this story would someday act as good medicine to a wounded heart. Ah, What would life be with out comic relief?!

This entry was posted in Letter Rip. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Comic Relief

1. Rick says:

Gee what happened to this guy? Sounds like a winner to me. I think you clearly missed your call. So was he the supplier of her pills?

Good point…he may have been the pill supplier! Maybe that was the reason we had to make such a swift get away!:0 (or perhaps they both just needed a little help;)

Have you asked Rick whether he has a criminal bckground? This should be question number one when you date someone, Susanna!

4. daniel says:

Of course Rick has a criminal background. We used to break into peoples’ houses, rob Waffle Houses, trespass on private property to play Spiritual Survivor, and kidnap people all the time. You should ask him about it…

5. Rick says:

Waffle house, no robbing, but yes pestering of guests and distracting employees from performing their jobs. There may have been some unauthorized videoing in a MARTA vehicle. Trespassing… the land was sort of undeveloped and CERTAINLY we never did things like jump fences to play on private tennis courts. The breaking and entering and kidnappings were all artfully achieved (with the approval of the church mind you) and very little blood was shed (sometimes kidnappees resist and end up injuring themselves).

6. Rick says:

…oh yeah, there was a situation where we allegedly attempted to kill the grandparents. …And another incident with a trench coat. …and the exchange of a white powdery substance. But if you discount all of that, my record is completely clean!!

Good for nothing low down criminal… No wait, you said this WASN’T Rick. Never mind.