A New Life

Micah is two weeks and one day old today…his life has just begun but already he has turned our little world upside down! For the most part, our lives have changed for the better and we love to just stare at our little son with wonder and amazement at such a perfect creation! His many faces (the mad face, pouty face, gas smiles, etc) provide us with endless entertainment and his soft baby skin is routinely showered with kisses!

I think the cutest moments are when I see Micah all bundled up at night in his favorite soft blue blanket and lying snugly in the crook of Rick’s arm for his seven hour or longer siesta (yup, we turn parents green with envy!) How worried I was about getting his cute little bassinet all ready for him and now, after only a few nights, it has become apparent to us he prefers to lie warm and cozy with mom and dad. Though it may well be difficult to wean him of this habit, for now we find no reason to deprive him of his obvious desire to be near us! It’s more convenient for feeding as well!

Now, not everything is delightful and romantic…I’ve been very blessed to have quite an easy time figuring out the intricacies of breastfeeding but Micah on the other hand does not always choose to cooperate! He has a habit of falling asleep frequently during feedings despite my many attempts to keep him awake and tends to snack more than guzzle it all down which means he is ALWAYS hungry!!!! A breast feeding mother truly has very little time to do anything else but sit with her child latched to her it seems! To complicate matters, our little guy has failed to meet his birth weight (7 pds/4 oz) at this point which is a constant stress on me as well and with his feeding habits as they are, I fear he will still fall below at his next weight check on Monday. The pediatrician seems calm at this point but I’m guessing may suggest some alternatives such as supplementing with formula if Micah has still not gained in two days.

Oh, the worries a mother inevitably endures…taking care of another life, one so small and helpless, seems like the most daunting of tasks at this point! In a few months, I may feel like a pro but for now, needless to say, I’m a complete novice with much to learn!

This entry was posted in Letter Rip. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to A New Life

1. Rick says:

I love the series of faces he makes when he is waking up, and the turtle look. He wont do them for the camera though.

2. Jane says:

It is wonderful he sleeps so long at night for you. However if he is not gaining weight, perhaps you need to wake him for a feed at night while he is so young. That will probably also help your milk supply increase.Good luck!

3. jana says:

Susanna,So good to see some more pics of sweet little Micah–as well as the real thing this morning at church. I am so glad everything is going well and that you are remembering to ENJOY these moments while he is still so small.Jane is right–at this age feeding maybe once during that 7 hour sleep time at night will help him to gain some more weight and increase your milk supply. I know it is hard to wake him up when he and you are sleeping soundly, but this early on it might really help him get back up and surpass his birthweight (without supplementing with formula). We’ll be praying about him gaining weight!We love you guys!

Let us know tomorrow what the doctor says!

5. maryanne helms says:

Susanna-you are doing a great job. Pat and I prayed for you guys last night….that you would have wisdom to know what to do about baby’s feeding. It’s a stressful time, for sure. Will call to see how the doctor went.Love,Maryanne

I LOVE THAT BABY…he is so beautiful. Are you really surprised he’s so small? Look at the parents he came from…you guys aren’t exactly beasts ;) i lov eyou both so much and will be praying for you and little Micah=)

7. Corrin says:

Thank you for the pictures. I can’t wait to see you guys. He is adorable.

8. heidi says:

Hey guys. He is precious..I know I don’t need to tell you that though! :) His size and constant eating/snacking reminds me so, so much of Grant when he was tiny. It DOES get better…even though it immobilizes the mommy, just ENJOY those moments. Really. :)

9. Mella says:

It sounds like you’re doing wonderful – novice or not! And yes, I’m truly envious of his sleeping patterns! My son didn’t fall into a hard full-night slumber until about 3 months old!We indulged our son too, by letting him sleep between us for a while – ok, ok, honestly, it was just plain easier for us needing to feed him at 3 in the morning, but he seemed content too. He had no trouble transitioning to his crib though. Hopefully Micah will be just as easy.He’s adorable, by the way, but I’m sure you hear that all the time! =)

10. Christy says:

He is SO cute guys! And Susanna I know you are a perfect Mummy! Can’t wait to see you sometime soon. Lots of love…

So…I was sitting here pondering whether Micah has grown at all…has he changed…has he gained weight…hmmmm…it would be really nice to know how he’s doing, how his mommy and daddy are doing…but I guess I’ll never know because apparently the whole Rose family no longer exists and baby Micah must have just been a dream because I never heard about him again…hahaha just kidding. PLEASE POST SOMETHING SOON:) We’re all waiting