Goin' Bald!

I swear I’m going bald! The last 2 months I’ve been losing TONS of hair every day and I’m just starting to really freak out…I’m getting small bald patches on the front of my scalp and can’t wear my hair in a pony tail any more without looking like I’m a guy with a receding hair line! I’ve read postpartum hair loss is pretty normal but this is starting to get excessive and I need help….now! ANY SUGGESTIONS??…I’M DESPERATE!

This entry was posted in Letter Rip. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Goin' Bald!

I did some searching on the web for you and found quite a lot of articles which said that hair loss like your is common, due to the estrogen of preganancy stopping the hair from its normal falling out. But apparently the hairs which come out are being pushed out by new ones, so in the end it should fill in again with new ones. One of the suggestions was to see a haristylist about a new, shorter, layered style. Good luck!

Hmmmmm…knowing you you’ve lost like 2 hairs and now fear that you look bald:) Maybe you could buy an assortment of wigs…;)

Grace…it really is true! I could post some before or after pictures and you’d see what I mean!:)Anon…thanks for researching! I think I might get a hair cut!

Me again with a follow up. Losing hair in the front like you describe was mentioned as a common type of hair loss following pregnancy.There is some discussion online about hypothyroidism developing postpartum, so it might be wise to follow up with your physician for a blood test – that will also cause some hair loss, especially eyebrows on the sides. I was pondering why I did not seem to remember hair loss as a problem following my 2 pregnancies and I realized I had a pretty short hair style. I cut it even shorter when the first baby found it fun to grab onto the longer hair. So I guess if I did have some hair loss it was not noticible. Good luck.

5. Mella says:

Oh, Susanna, I feel your pain. I actually started losing a significant amount of hair before I was even married – then it stopped, but started again post-partum.It’s probably just hormonal and related to being post-partum, but you might also want to just make sure that you’re getting enough fats and protiens in your diet, just to be sure.

6. Aileen says:

I lost a ton of hair with Michaela. A TON!! I was pulling handfuls out in the shower. It happens. I stopped a couple of months ago. It will ease too!

If it is any comfort, I was noticing yesterday how thick and healthy your hair looks!

8. laura says:

I’m totally there with you. I’ve ceased to be shocked by the enormous handfuls of hair that fall out when I shower (and I already have really thin hair). I’ve done two things so far. 1) I got a hair cut. It didn’t stop me from losing hair, but it certainly made the hair I still have look and feel more healthy. 2)Keep taking your prenatal vitamins. My hair stylist told me that prenatal vits should have an extra helping of biotin in them to help strengthen your hair. The good news is that your hair will probably start growing back normally about 1 year post-partum (yay me, only 5 months to go). :-) Micah is adorable, by the way.

Thanks all for your help and for those moms who have also gone through similar hair loss! It makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one!!!:)Anon: Any chance you might expose your name or anything at some point? DON’T WORRY…even if you don’t feel comfortable doing so, I welcome you to my site and thank you for all your help/research, etc but do LOVE to know who my readers are!

10. Neo says:

Rose - A wig?;)Or, you could shave your head and hang out at the airport distributing those pamphlets. :)Damn, sorry I don’t think I can help with this. Peace & Hugs,- Neo

11. daniel says: