Entertaining 101

This week was one filled with much entertaining which I love! Nearly every night, our little table had four chairs around it instead of two and Micah had a little buddy to join him in rummaging through his “toy box.” The more we invite couples into our home, especially those who also have a child or two, the more I am discovering what works and where tweaking must be done to make sure the evening runs more smoothly. My findings:

1. Tuesday night:

Rick’s parents stayed for a dinner of chicken and biscuits. This was last minute planning but thankfully a) they’re family (so they have the put up with whatever happens no matter what!;) and b) they had no plans that might intervene and thus it did not matter, within reason, when we ate. Easy going and relaxed was the word of the night.

2. Thursday night:

Another last minute decision made on my part to entertain. I wanted to have our friends the Barkers over for home-made pizza (one of my favorite recipes as the dough takes only 10 minutes to prepare). They have a 15 month old beautiful little girl, Mara Kate and thus, I had hoped to have things prepared when they arrived so they could come and go relatively quickly in order to get Mara Kate to bed on time, etc. Well, unfortunately I had not anticipated the very stressful afternoon I’d have with Micah that day (he was fussing non-stop and needing constant attention) and I found it almost impossible to merely get the apartment in some semblance of order much less prepare the pizza before hand. BUT, better pre-planning would have made it possible and so, whether it mattered or not, my apologies to our friends for an evening which could have been a little easier! Thanks for coming…we loved visiting with you all!

3. Saturday night:

Finally, everything came together and when the Morrisons came through the door with their 17 month old son Daniel, the tomato/tortilla soup was simmering on the stove, warm rolls were arranged on a plate, ready to be eaten and brownies made hours before meant there was even a desert this night!;) I must say, the more successful pre-planning always makes for a more relaxed dinner on my part and as the hostess, it just feels great to be prepared, together and in charge of the evening’s proceedings!

*So, what are your tips and/or suggestions for a successful night of entertaining in your home???

This entry was posted in Letter Rip. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Entertaining 101

1. jana says:

Susanna–We really enjoyed being at your house again. Your pizza was wonderful, as usual and it didn’t bother us a bit that you weren’t as prepared as YOU wanted to be. It just gave us time to love on Micah and play with him while you got things going in the kitchen. It was good fellowship and so fun to see how your home has changed with a little baby added to the mix (we understand all that means—good, wonderful, frustrating, bad and sometimes unexpected). We love you guys! Thanks for having us!!

Good job with all the entertaining…I’m sure everything went wonderfully and it’s just your worrying that makes you think otherwise:)

3. Mella says:

You’re such a hostess – reading this it sounds a lot like myself too. We hardly ever have guests, especially now with the two kids – but, we did have friends over on Friday, and although we’d planned on ordering out, I couldn’t help myself. I was so excited to have company that I baked rolls, cut up a tray of cheeses and pepperoni and veggies, caramelized some onions with fresh parsley and garlic and strips of steak, and made some savory cheese pinwheel things (using Tastefully Simple seasoning mixes and store bought crescent rolls) – and, I baked brownies and bought ice cream and toppings for them to make sundaes. Anyway, long story short, no one was hungry for the actual “meal” that we’d planned on ordering after sitting around and eating all the “appetizers” I’d made.And we had a great time just visiting with our friends.I love homemade pizzas, as well as just using the dough to make rolls then putting out, say, hummus and/or some homemade marinara sauce for dipping. Actually making pizza’s with friends is also fun – as is doing a taco/fajita night, or any meal that everyone can be in the kitchen helping out with. Especially if your friends like to cook.I haven’t ever cooked a meal for my inlaws yet (and we’ve been married just about five years!) – Brava to you for doing so “on the spot”!

4. Shannon says:

Wow, you are quite the entertainer. Please don’t feel that you have to entertain me when I come to visit. Truly, I don’t want to be a burden. If anything, I want to be seen as an extra set of hands to help out while I’m there! Looking forward to a great visit! Hint: A really quick dish if you like porkchops. Place 4 porkchops in a baking dish, cover with Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup and diced red bell peppers. Throw into the oven at 375 (Canadian temperature) for about 20 minutes. Yummy and super fast!!

I’m so glad to see you opening your home. You and Rick are both very relaxed as hosts, and I think this is the single most important thing in making others comfortable.

6. Neo says:

Rose - Hmmmm, lots of beer and take out! LOLPeace & Hugs,- Neo

Can you share your pizza crust recipe? I am looking for a quick and good recipe…