Why I Don't Watch Soaps

I can definitely see how watching Soap Operas on any sort of regular basis could lead one into severe depression not to mention a slew of other personal problems as well. Flipping through channels when we’ve had a T.V., I have never been tempted to watch soaps-the dim lighting of the sets and perpetually gloomy plot lines are enough to keep me away. I don’t think they ever present anything pleasant or wholesome. Unfortunately though while at the doctors office yesterday for a 36 week ultra sound( to check Ellie’s growth), one was playing on a big flat screen in the waiting room. I was stuck and couldn’t escape hearing the perpetually dramatic script. In one especially “memorable” scene, it went something like this:

“I’ve been thinking and I think that we need to just take a break and think about things,” says a sultry, vulgar looking girl in her early twenties.

“I was thinking maybe we could get married and try to raise this baby together,” her boyfriend replies.

“What? Have the baby? We’re way to young and not fit to be parents!”

“Have you thought about this?”

“Yes, I’ve thought a lot about it and I’ve decided it just isn’t the right time. This baby would need a good home with two loving parents and that wouldn’t be us!”

Boyfriend is dejected, wanting the baby yet powerless to convince his unyielding girlfriend. Now,it might just be me but in real life, I think this scenario would likely be played out a little differently, the girl most wanting to keep the baby and the boyfriend disinterested. Perhaps they turned things around in order to further the whole “girl power” image.

I looked around the room at a sea of ladies with big, round bellies just like my own, anticipating the birth of our babies. The giving of life…one of God’s most beautiful designs on this earth. And yet another reality, a depressing one beyond words, plays itself out on the screen and the excitement of pregnancy is just a little jaded by the plans of abortion being discussed between two soap stars.

9 Responses to Why I Don't Watch Soaps

1. Kaylene says:

This link might interest you…http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/publish/consumer/home/shows/adoption.htmlone of these [true!] stories is about the scenario you talked about being in the soap opera.Its when the scenario played out on a soap opera, becomes real life, is when it really starts to hit me how low our society regards life.

2. Kaylene says:

I can’t get the link to look right… try hallmarkchannel.com and search for adoption stories. There’s a lot of positive stories too, that are a beautiful contrast to soap-opera life.

3. Sandra says:

I bet you just wanted to scream at the TV! So glad you and the other women at the office are showing the beauty of pregnancy and motherhood!

4. Ally says:

Why do physicians think they need to bombard us with televisions while we wait? Or restaurants? Or stores? I hate that almost everywhere we go, we’re overloaded with garbage like that. You should be able to wait for a doctor’s appointment without you and your child being subjected to that sort of material.

5. Ally says:

p.s. My niece went with me to get a pedicure, and I had to ask the owner to change the channel–since a Lifetime movie about adultery was on the television in front of us. I think they changed it to a news station, which isn’t that much better given that my niece is only five years old.

6. The Matriarch says:

Thank God for eyes that can see and a heart that can know truth…Light!

Kaylene, Thanks for the link!Ally, You know, unfortunately it didn’t occur to me till afterwards that I should have nicely yet boldly asked if the channel could be changed…perhaps even given the reason why I thought it needed to be. Though it is extremely difficult to find anything quality on T.V. as you say, I’m sure something more worthwhile could have been found! Next time!:)

8. Melissa says:

The History or Discovery Channels are most often a good option to switch too when psooible.

I recently watched the movie ‘Bella’ . Great movie about a girl who thinks her only choice is abortion… such a great ending. I always go for early morning appointments that way it’s the early show or some such drivel but fairly harmless. Or lots of times the tv isn’t on yet and we don’t turn it on.Love your blog.Kathy