Garden State

Some friends of ours from church have let us borrow their car for 10 whole days! So yesterday, we escaped the city for the night after a mere two hour drive and happily found ourselves at the gorgeous, sprawling New Jersey home of one of my dad’s cousins whom we have all affectionately grown up calling “Cousin Barbara.”

There is nothing quite like her house. The grounds are magical and I feel as though I’ve stepped into an English garden when I’m there. We love her and her husband, not to mention the care they give us whenever we visit-as Rick commented today, staying with them is like being at a cozy b&b!

I left feeling I’d learned a lot about generosity, encouragement, good hospitality and support. How can a 9 months pregnant mommy not appreciate being told to “go take a nap” both yesterday and today (like I’m going to argue with that “order!”) or to be told with obvious sincerity…even eagerness… that “we are available at a moment’s notice if you need us to come help you out after the baby is born.”

Good food, quality conversation, gifts, patience and attention given to Micah despite his sometimes less-than-becoming behavior…we are thankful and see almost daily God’s provision for us on this journey of life in Brooklyn.

And to think we’ve lived in New York City for almost 1 full year now! Amazing!

I’m ready to pop!:)

7 Responses to Garden State

How fun! Is it still the same home? She is such a kind woman.

2. Marc says:

I was wondering where the car seat had gone. ;-) Erica and I are feeling the need to get out of the city too.

So glad you guys were able to have such a relaxing weekend away–what a lovely retreat from city life! Looking forward to seeing you guys up here this weekend!Adrienne

What a lovely gift from a lovely woman (and husband!) Mom

Marc – that’s funny you guys noticed the absence of the car seat in the hallway!;) We feel bad that we always keep it there but just don’t have the room right now to keep it in the apartment!!Adrienne – we can’t wait to see you guys this Saturday either!

6. Rick says:

They are probably the most amazing hosts ever. I love the character of their old house and gardens. It makes me eager to start some potted gardens in our new backyard.

7. The Matriarch says:

I can’t figure out whether that is Barbara’s house that we visited years ago, or not. Micah sure looks like he was enjoying himself. They really are incredibly hospitable people.Dad