Edible Pleasures, guilt, etc

I must admit that I have been finding much comfort and pleasure in…I’m ashamed to say it…ice cream lately or anything chocolate! Ugh, many years ago now I was a very, very healthy high schooler whose one indulgence was a Fig Newton or a York peppermint pattie. Fast forward some years and one child and then another and well, sweets are just a bright spot in the day to help me get through!

I was reminded last week by way of another blog that I should not be finding ultimate fulfillment in food (or anything else) but in God. This is obviously so true. But, in this season where on a difficult day I feel run through the mill by my extremely active 2 year old, is it wrong to find joy in some ice cream?

I suppose my waistline won’t thank me and hopefully those fig newtons will satisfy again in time. I should remember seeking God for help in the moment of temptation is my surest way to peace. But I’m not going to stress too much right now. I feel confident it is not an idol. Perhaps I’ll just make sure I pick an ice cream spot that is a good walk from us. I can walk off the damage on the way home!

Ellie stats:

• She is now 21 inches (from 18 3/4 at birth),
  • 11 lbs, 12 oz (from 6lbs 11ozs at birth)…I find this weight a little hard to believe but regardless, she is gaining very well!:)
  • 100% breast fed (such a blessing! Micah much preferred formula and the bottle, switching to both full time at 3 months but this little girl will have nothing to do with a bottle or even a pacifier! With the second one comes more confidence to make breast feeding work or that is what I have found!)

8 Responses to Edible Pleasures, guilt, etc

1. Shannon says:

I had the same thing happen with chocolate when I had Mira and it hasn’t gone away yet! Ellie is so adorable! She always looks so happy, content and of course sweet! By the way, back to the whole chocolate thing…I know that you eat dark chocolate, which has been proven to be good for you with all the antioxidants and stuff. Therefore, you are actually doing something good for yourself by eating it and enjoying it. Apparently dark chocolate has the same amount of antioxidants as blueberries! Can’t say the same about ice cream however….

What a dolly she is..she is looking more and more like you! As for a theology of food, the only thing the Bible says is not to be gluttonous, not to offend people by what you eat…Don’t see either of these in operation here! Food, with its comforting qualities, is a wonderful gift from God – to be received with thanksgiving, and ENJOYED! Mom

You two should be proud parents. She’s really beautiful. I can’t wait to hold her. Dad

4. Aileen says:

Oh my…. what a beautiful little girl! I still have to mail her coat Susanna, but don’t worry, it is sized 3-6 months so we should be fine!

You have a beautiful family…I can’t wait to see her…she just looks so cuddly and cute! Who cares about the chocolate…I’m with Shannon, indulge in the good stuff!

Ellie looks like a perfect little doll! And are those rolls I see coming in on her little arms!? How adorable. She looks very healthy. I guess some of that ice cream is doing her good, as well! And just keep in mind that you need up to 1,000 extra calories per day when breastfeeding, so here’s to ice cream and chocolate!Love,Adrienne

7. Mrs. Miller says:

Ellie looks beautiful! And YEAH! for breastfeeding!!!!

8. Rick says:

I find ice cream highly offensive so I don’t know what your mom is talking about =) ok fine, I ate ice cream tonight. And chocolate… well the front counter at the chocolate room has been calling my name. My Raspberry Port needs company