Saturday In Sleepy Hollow

Supposedly, the Headless Horseman lurked on this bridge…

The Old Dutch Church, where some ancestors on my mother’s side are buried in the adjoining grave yard. Like her maiden name, their surname was Belford.

“The chief part of the stories, however, turned upon the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman, who had been heard several times of late, patrolling the country; and, it was said, tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the churchyard.”

-“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” Washington Irving

Beautiful winter scenes were everywhere, including this one of an old mill

7 Responses to Saturday In Sleepy Hollow

1. Vanessa says:

You have such beautiful babies!

How fun! Looks like you had a great time:)

3. Betty says:

I love the pictures of you and Ellie, you look so cute! And I love that picture of Micah and his red scarf!!

4. Shannon says:

Oh my goodness…Micah looks so grown up with his red scarf! I absolutely love the picture of you and Ellie in front of the wooden door. Your jacket, hat and snugli all compliment the picture! Very neat!

Love the photos, Hon…would love to go with you to the area at some point…Our ancestors that settled there in the 1600’s became the Orsers – originally, Aertsen, I believe….Aert, son of Aert etc…Love, Mom

6. Rebekah says:

I LOVE Sleepy Hollow. We went up there a couple of times when the leaves were changing and it was spectacular, especially in October when the whole town is gearing up for Halloween. I highly recommend going back next Fall. Looks like you had a great time in the snow! =)

Mom, So it is Orser, not Belford…thanks for that clarification and helpful information!Rebekah, I bet it would be beautiful in the fall…I hope we can make it back there at that time of year!:)