Navigating The Dark Ages

Before we moved to New York, we sold our T.V. Our portable DVD player went kaput a few months ago because Micah shoved too many cheerios inside. Our ipod mysteriously went missing one day when I left Micah alone in close proximity to it for a mere five seconds or so. We have a computer but it is in our basement and so not in a convenient location during the day and I can usually only go online when both the kids are down for their joint afternoon nap! I can put movies on for Micah or catch online shows but often do not want to be downstairs where the sunlight seems to disappear.

Suffice to say, I often feel as though we’re living in the dark ages and with a willful two year old who likes to stay constantly entertained, I sometimes find myself yearning for the ability to turn on a show or movie…or even just some music! Anything to distract him.

It can be good, it can be hard! I know Micah enjoys books more now which is an invaluable bonus. I think his attention span is improving. And no, I am not trying to make an anti-entertainment statement…if we can fix our portable DVD player I will be a happy mama! Regardless, it is definitely a strange place to find oneself in our day in age. Can anyone relate?:)

(Pictures of Micah’s first sledding experience at Bear Mountain, NY…he loved it!)

8 Responses to Navigating The Dark Ages

1. mary says:

We put our TV away in a closet a couple of months ago, but my sports-fan husband got it out to watch the playoff football games on Sunday night, only to realize that the TV had broken! While we watch very little TV, it does feel a little strange to not even have a working one now! However, we are VERY dependent on our internet access and are thankful for Hulu!!!

2. SYK says:

oh i can DEFINITELY relate! i haven’t had TV since getting married and although i know deep down in my heart it is probably better for my marriage (right? right?), i do dearly miss it at times…watching live news, background noise, random movies. online viewing is ok but not the same. btw, didnt know ppl could sled at bear mtn! looks like fun:)

Love the pictures. Can you get a small dvd payer so can listen to kids’ music? Mom

4. Shannon says:

I have cable, but only for the Treehouse station and to watch news/TLC/A&E, which I don't even really watch anymore anyways. The only real reason I feel that I even have a television is for Mira's Dora movies and the occasional Disney movie. I NEVER watch tv anymore. I feel better not watching though. My brain turns to mush watching it too often…it also allows more time for creative projects…writing letters, painting, reading to Mira and of course playing outside when it's nice enough.

5. rick says:

So I’ll say on Susanna’s behalf she stressed over coming across as making a pious statement against tv. But then I’ll also say, she doesn’t sit herself or the kids in front of the screen despite whatever humble statements she might make. =)

Love the pictures! Glad that you are able to have fun in all that snow!

7. Jessy says:

I love the pictures! Your family is so cute! hehe

8. The Matriarch says:

The photos make me nostalgic for X country skiing.Dad