Keep the Old

I have moved many times in my life and so there are few close friendships I have had for any length of time it seems. Therefore, my friend Shannon is a precious person in my life as our friendship has spanned about 13 years now.

Close friends with my older sister first and still, Shannon decided Maryanne’s look-alike younger sister was also worth hanging with and we became fast friends as well. We ran cross-country together in high school and Shannon was always the older runner I looked up to both for her talent and her determination to succeed. I still remember the year we both won awards at the end of the season for our efforts in running…we were always on the same page and did many of our runs each day together. We ran a few times together at a Mcmaster University track club, we can 10k races, a 5k, through the scenic Dundas Valley, around Ancaster. We were the two most fit Canadian chicks around and it was always Shannon encouraging me to “keep on going!”

Now, Shannon, Maryanne and I are all mothers. Shannon is still the picture of fitness while I have regrettably become less so (yet running together yesterday gave me hope my running days may be revived!) Though She and Mira live in Toronto, Ontario, they have made the long trek to see us whether in Atlanta or New York. Micah and Mira can say they have been friends since utero. And now, though Micah makes many new friends along the way, I will always encourage him to cling to the old…the few he has known always… for it is surely true that “one is silver and the other gold!”

Then

November 2006

March 2007

July 2008

Now

P.S. Thanks for the visit Shannon and Mira! You may have only left yesterday but we miss you guys already!:)

6 Responses to Keep the Old

What a sweet post and what sweet babies!!! I’m so glad you were able to all see each other!

2. Stephanie says:

This comment is in response to your post about abortion, but I wanted to be sure you saw it. I recently came across the “Standing for Life” section on Randy Alcorn’s blog/website, “Eternal Perspective Ministries”. There are a couple pages that I would definitely recommend you check out:1) Abortion: What is it Like?http://www.epm.org/artman2/publish/prolife_standing_for_life/Abortion_What_Is_It_Like.shtml2) 50 Ways To Help Unborn Babies and Their Mothers http://www.epm.org/artman2/publish/prolife_standing_for_life/50_Ways_To_Help_Unborn_Babies_and_Their_Mothers.shtmlGod bless you!

Thank you Stephanie!

4. Shannon says:

Susanna! What can I say?! Beautiful pics and it did make me emotional (yes, even for me!) to read about our kiddies having been buddies since in utero. I know that despite the distance, we will always be great friends. You are my friend for always and I can’t wait to see you again! xoxo Love you!

Thanks for posting the pictures of the toddlers-love them! Mom

6. Betty says:

Such cute pictures Susannna. What a treasure for Micah to have a friend for so long at such a young age!