What Does "J" Mean?

I have never been up on computer lingo. For example, the first time someone put “LOL” at the end of an email to me, I thought it was an abbreviation for “Lots Of Love.” In this particular email, this would have been appropriate. Then I saw it again and kind of freaked out because it just seemed weird for this particular person to declare their great affection!;) Soon I discovered it merely meant “Lots Of Laughs.” I’m always clueless, always behind it seems!

Now, I must confess I have no clue what “J” means at the end of a sentence yet I get it all the time in emails! Does it mean “Joke?” Rick doesn’t know either which makes feel a little better!

Could someone please enlighten me?:)

I apologize for the former picture I had posted. I did not know so many crude abbreviations were on it…I promise!!!

11 Responses to What Does "J" Mean?

1. Haley says:

My experience with the “J” is just like in your last sentence– the smiley face sometimes shows up as a J before it goes to the smiley. I’m sure it has something to do with html or rich text or something computery like that. :)

2. Johannah says:

Sus-I just got sent a “J” also! No idea!

I don’t know what it means either and I thought “LOL” meant laugh out loud? I have not clue….

4. Kaylene says:

What Haley said. I often write my letters on microsoft word and paste them into an email. The smileys show up as ‘J’. They don’t convert properly.

5. Bethany says:

Yeah, I always thought the “J” had to do with a format problem. Like the sender was trying to include an exclamation mark, but it came across in my e-mail as a “J.”

Oh…and we all know what “WTF” means:)

Grace, woops…ya LOL does probably mean Laugh Out Loud!!! I’m wrong again!:)Haley, thanks for the tip..html it probably is!Everyone, I apologize for the picture i put up…I’m going to take it down now cause I didn’t realize there were so many crude things on it when I posted…promise!!!!

8. babiesforRuby says:

I’ve been enlightened…i too sometimes get an email full of Js…now I will see smiles. Thanks!

Change from plan text to html in your email client the face will appear

10. Rich says:

The J usually appears when the mail client tries to substitute the Wingdings font for the two characters. This is usually done by Outlook or Outlook Express. Other mail clients don't tend to do this.

Maybe "J" stands for the first letter in the Divine Name? That would be nice to get in an e-mail!