Introducing Amelia Grace Rose

Born April 17, 2010. 3:46AM
5lb 5oz, 18 1/2″

My wife reminds me of my post 21 months ago introducing our first daughter and that it was apparently particularly witty and I am instructed to do the same today. So pressure is on…

It was a cold night in Brooklyn. Trees rustled in the wind. A light rain fell. Somewhere near Butler Street a rat scurried for cover while inside the Rose house a tinge of pain was felt at 11PM.

Now the pain is increasing, now pressure on the back, now walking becomes a crawl, now uncertainty erased by waves of contractions at 4 minutes apart.

We put out the signal into the Gotham sky – alert the doctor, alert the doula.

And what of the kids, all snuggled in bed? Neighbors alerted, neighbors on call, just 12 hours earlier a letter they penned. “We’re still on watch with calendars clear!”

At the strike of midnight, the doula arrives. The labor begins in earnest. A replacement is called: the part of Susanna will now be played by birthing veteran extraordinaire.

In the getaway car, we speed off into the night. At 0100 hours there is room at the inn. A dying star, contractions are constant and gathering momentum, speeding towards supernova.

100% organic, fair trade, and all natural – the body works. For a brief moment she contemplates biting into the apple of relief, but resists.

0200 she moves to the bed. 0210 the doctor arrives. 0220 the curtain draws back. 0230 the pushing begins. 0240 a head appears… a face… a body… a girl!

————————

For 24 she went without a name. Everyone’s feeling and the words of the ultrasound doctors made us think it was probably a boy so we hadn’t totally settled our minds. I’ve always said if I ever had a cat, I’d name it “cat” like Breakfast at Tifany’s and I couldn’t help think about…

He’s all right! Aren’t you, cat? Poor cat! Poor slob! Poor slob without a name! The way I see it I haven’t got the right to give him one. We don’t belong to each other. We just took up one day by the river. I don’t want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I’m not sure where that is but I know what it is like.

We’ve been given a beautiful little girl to look after and take care of. But she doesn’t belong to us, she belongs to our Father in heaven who planned the events of her arrival before the first spark of light began. We saw His hand throughout the birth. We are humbled He has chosen to bless us with 3. Children are a blessing, and now we’re out-numbered with blessings!

Welcome Amelia Grace, we love you!

———————-

21 Responses to Introducing Amelia Grace Rose

We love you, too, Amelia Grace!…Paul and Sandy, I think we got a majority stake in the gene pool this time – but time will tell! To me, she looks like Micah- who is such a mix of the two families – but with somewhat more Challies…Mom

By the way, she is beautiful! Mom

3. Jessica Stowe says:

What a beautiful girl! Praise God for the safe delivery.

4. kjmironov says:

This left me with chills! She is beautiful, Amelia. Precious. Amelia Grace, I cannot wait to meet you!

5. Bobbi Jo says:

Amelia Grace I love your name!Congratulations Rick and Susanna – can't wait to meet Amelia this summer!

6. Alicia says:

SUSANNA! You definitely have a good …and beautiful, cute, cuddly, and mostly blessed excuse for standing me up tonight! Our phone date can wait! :o) How exciting!!! I called and texted you, but you're busy with a new babe! No wonder! I'll be praying for your sleep, Amelia's health, and your family's transitions. Hopefully I can make it up to NY sooner than later to see her and help if you need me.Rick… I loved the play-by-play. I was on the edge of my seat! Much love to you Roses (all 5! of you) :o)

7. Julia, Marcio, Alex says:

Congratulations Susanna and Rick! Amelia Grace will share Brooklyn playgrounds with our 6-week old Alexander! God bless all 5 of you!Julia, Marcio & Alexander

8. babiesforRuby says:

Congratulations!! Beautiful banymoon wishes to all and quick healing for brave strong mama!!!

9. laur says:

Congratulations dearest Anna (and daddy Rick :-)). Amelia…and I LOVE that name by the way…is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see her, your other two gorgeous children and, of course, my ANNA soon :-). Love you guys. Lauren

10. Bethany says:

Congratulations on the arrival of your sweet Amelia and well done Susanna!!!

11. Aileen says:

What a tiny little girl! She looks like a little doll! Praising God for her safe delivery.

12. Betty says:

Congratulations!!! She is so tiny and beautiful!! Susanna, you are SO strong! I will be praying for you all during this wonderful/transition period!

Oh, congratulations! Amelia is a little Susanna I do believe! And I love her name. So, this is going to sound crazy, but I knew she was going to be born yesterday and I almost posted a comment to that effect on Susanna's post on Friday! I'm so glad she's here now and healthy. Yay!

14. Anna says:

Congratulations! I was so excited to find out! Amelia is a beautiful name and she looks precious! I wish we could do arranged marriages! :P Praise the Lord for a safe and healthy delivery… enjoy your sweet new bundle.

Justin and I think she is just so adorable. Welcome baby!!!

16. Julie says:

What a beautiful new bundle! May the Lord bless you and give you strength in the days and weeks ahead.

17. Johannah says:

Susanna, you are amazing! Congratulation to you. Rick & the kids. A lovely name for a lovely baby.Love, Jo

18. kate says:

Beautiful little girl. And I love her name. Congrats to you and your beautiful family. And can I tell you how jealous I am that your birthing process seems to go so very quickly compared to mine. Love you all.

19. SYK says:

omg congrats guys!!! susanna, i was just thinking about you! you have some of the quickest births… i am AMAZED! so awesome. your children are so lucky to have such a great mother. cant wait to meet amelia one day (what a pretty name)!

20. Melissa Marini says:

Congratulations to the Rose and Challies family. She is so beautiful and as tiny as my boys were. She will be big and strong soon.

21. Susan says:

Hi Susanna & Rick, we were very happy to hear the great news. Congratulations & welcome to Amelia!Love Aunt Susan, Uncle George, Victoria & Madeleine.