Home front Transitions

Amelia, 3 days old

Micah has taken well to being a big brother again, all ready to hold Amelia and be a helper. He seems to realize he is the oldest and enjoys the role. Ellie on the other hand, as I anticipated, has been dealing with a lot of jealousy. It is obvious, especially when I am nursing Amelia, that she feels replaced, even a little insecure, in my affections.

Tonight was case in point. As she gobbled up her dinner, I put a sleeping Amelia down and sat near Ellie to talk with her as she ate. When she was done, she started crying. I asked her if she wanted to get out of her high chair and play. She said a quick, “no!” I asked if she wanted to read her favorite book, “Lost Calf.” Another strong retort. “Do you want to hug mama?” I asked. This time, her answer was a ready, “Ya!”

We snuggled on the couch for several minutes, her sucking her thumb and playing with my hair, not wanting to get down or do anything else. Poor girl. Hopefully this jealous season will pass quickly! It breaks my heart to see it, yet I know it is all part of the transition period.

11 Responses to Home front Transitions

1. Bethany says:

It must be terribly hard not to be the baby anymore. But it sounds like you're doing a wonderful job helping Ellie through it.

2. Melissa Marini says:

Such beautiful pictures Susanna. Ellie will come around in time and she will be a good big sister to little Amelia. I love that name.

That's so sweet even though it's rough. I loved seeing the picture of them together. Glad to see you are back home now and enjoying your baby!

4. laura says:

Baby Amelia is gorgeous! Congratulations! It sounds like you had a great birth too! I hope we'll get to here about it from your perspective one of these days.Ellie will adjust. I know it's hard. My first had a hard time not being the baby (at 3!) when we had our second. She was always good to baby, but had some struggles acting out against mommy and daddy. Bedtime was especially rough as she saw the baby sleeping with us and her in her own bed (still in our room thanks to our itty bitty SF apartment). She took about two weeks to come to grips with it. One piece of advice other parents gave us was to try and spend one on one time with her to help her remember and understand that the new baby didn't mean she was less loved. My husband took her on "daddy dates" and I would take her to the store with me and leave baby with Daddy (for an hour, no more). She'll adjust and it sounds like you're doing a great job helping her along. It's hard, especially when you have the worldview of a one year old. :) My 2nd is now almost one and a lovely little friendship has blossomed between her and her older sister. In no time, you'll find your heart swelling with joy watching your two girls form precious sisterly bonds. :)Congratulations again! Hope you have a smooth recovery.

Amelia is lovely, Hon. Thanks for the new photos. We will pray especially for our Ellie over the next while.

Could Amelia be any prettier? Glad to see more pictures…And Ellie will come around and soon won't remember life without baby:)

Oh…and Amelia looks JUST like you and Auntie Maryanne…to me at least!

8. Shannon says:

I agree with Grace. She looks a lot like Susanna and Maryanne. She is stunning. Ellie will soon get over the jealousy (with the help of Mom) and will embrace her new playmate. I wished I had been able to enjoy a sister so she is very priviledged.

9. SYK says:

look at those beautiful eyes! :) she is so pretty. hoping the best for this transition period for ellie…sounds like you're being a very caring thoughtful mother…(i just made a grammatical mistake on the first comment so i deleted it)

Beuatiful photos. I cant' wait to see her. She is very pretty. In the final photograph she al,ost resembles the Millers when they were children.Dad

11. kate says:

All your children should be models. Amelia is a beauty just like all of you. Hopefully by the end of the week Elli will be close to her normal self. Just keep reassuring her that you are there to give her those snuggles.