Just Keep On Keeping On

“Just keep on keeping on, as the saying goes, and God will be with you,” wrote my mom in an encouraging email this morning.

Today marks week five since Amelia’s birth. Every morning feels a little different , some easier, some harder and no matter what, each day full of serving the needs of three little people.

From Micah:

“Mama, I want juice!”

Me: “Ask nicely please!”

“Mama, can I have some juice please!”

“Mama, I’m hungry! I want to do school! (he seriously asks this all the time:), I want to go to the playground, I want couthins, I want shows!” And the list goes on and on.

From Ellie:

“Juice, juice! Hungy, hungy! Cerol! Nanna! Apple! Snack! Side (outside)!” Basically any need food related comes forth from Ellie’s mouth most of the day as this girl has a love affair with anything edible!:)

From Amelia:

“Waaaaaaaaa!” Translation: “I want milk and I want it now!:)”

Just keep on keeping on. Doing what? What am I possibly accomplishing here in the greater scheme of things? What is getting constantly fulfilling needs, trying to keep on top of the laundry piles, picking up constant messes, applying discipline even when it seems fruitless, etc really all about? All I can conclude is it is simply about how readily and joyfully I serve and just learning to serve, serve and serve some more. I am a servant and my master is the King of the universe. He is not going to lord it over me like a cruel task master but he has given me much (a gentle, loving husband who treats me like a queen and three beautiful, healthy children…how much more could I want:) and I need to show him gratitude and honor by doing the best in this house. And when I willingly serve my children, I serve Him! If I dishonor my calling, I dishonor Him.

Just keep on keeping on. Fellow moms, we’re accomplishing a lot! Never doubt it for a second but, if you do, just write about the importance of your calling before God and you will immediately be encouraged!

“If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.” -John 12:26

P.S. Pictures from the playground and Grand Army Plaza weekend market

7 Responses to Just Keep On Keeping On

1. Christy says:

Thanks for the encouraging post Susannah! Miss you guys!

A couple things…so proud of you. I know each day is a challenge but as you said, keep on keeping on! You are doing a wonderful job! You look amazing (as usual) I am guessing you're loving not being pregnant? Ellie is getting chubby! (at least for one of yours) All three children are such beautiful blessings. You (and all my sisters) are an inspiration to me! Love you so much!

3. Rick Rose says:

haha. love the play by play, very true to life! You are an awesome mom!!

4. meg says:

Very encouraging, Susanna! It is hard to find purpose in filling the limitless needs of three sweet but, by nature, 'self-ish' little people (no harm intended – I have a set too!). When I get overwhelmed, and tempted to wish them a little older and more self-sufficient, God has reminded me that this only a season – and that each new season as they get older will have their own unique challenges…and never to rush my babies growing up. :)

Continue to be faithful, Hon, and God will bless beyond measure, as he always does….And, as for meaning, I always think of the lady's words I read years ago as she cited an imaginary conversation with a career mom…What do you do? Oh, you market peanut butter…I raise eternal beings to serve the king of the universe….or something along those lines!

6. Julie says:

The Lord laid the same word "Servant" on my heart as I arose in the middle of the night to comfort an infant; and because of His grace, I was able to serve with love and gentleness, at least in that moment (later on when not one, but 4 children were demanding things, it was a little more difficult). Yes, we must keep pressing forward.

Thanks for all the beautiful photos. Nice to see real veggies. Did you take that photo at the Avenues?Dad