My Children, My Treasures

They are growing up so fast, each of them. Here is a little glimpse into my children. The three little people I spend my days with loving, nurturing, leading, correcting and shaping. Shaping into children I pray will learn to follow Christ and glorify Him with their lives…

Micah, turns 4 August 25th

The definition of exuberant according to Webster’s dictionary: extreme or exessive in degree, size or extent; joyously unrestrained and enthusiastic

The boy who touches everyone he meets. From his welcoming “oh, hi” to his huge, luminous eyes sparkling with excitement when he sees a friend, everybody is somebody to Micah. Each person leaves an impact on him and he remembers names like most kids remember every character of their favorite show. He truly cares about people. I love this about him!

Something I learned early on with my oldest…there is no middle ground with this boy! He is either a bundle of joy or a puddle of dismay. Excessively happy or excessively unhappy. I think many of the unhappy moments stem from his frustration with his limitations. He does not like to fail. For example, if he falls, he sees this as a frustrating limitation. This passionate disposition demands tempering but in the long run, I see him being a man of conviction, compassion, joyful and desirous of truth. And despite the unhappy moments, the moments of joy and zest for life outweigh the rest and make me stand in wonder of his delight in the little things! With his love of learning bible stories and worship songs, his beautiful singing voice, perhaps he’ll be a pastor, worship leader or a 9-5 career guy in love with his creator. But, I think God will use Micah for His glory no matter what the calling on his life.

Smart, incredibly gifted musically and interpersonally, intuitive and gentle, Micah is our first joy. The handsome little guy who stole our hearts and made us realize we were the luckiest two people on earth to be made parents! Our first treasure.

Ellie, turns 2 July 10th

Definition of the word “jolly” from Websters dictionary: full of high spirits.
Ellie has her days…she’s nearing 2 after all. But I find her to be such a jolly, merry soul. She doesn’t let life get her down. She’s a fighter…if another little person takes something from her, well then, she’ll fuss for 5 seconds and then go onto something else. When she falls, she gets back up, dusts herself off and rarely cries. As if there is just no use…there’s not enough time in her day to waste in tears! If mama asks for her help tidying up, she’s usually right there to help me, perhaps even singing the Barney “clean up song” as we go! “Clean up, clean up everybody, everywhere!” When correction is needed, mostly because she is not good at listening to me when I ask her to come or to stop doing something, she is truly repentant. It makes my heart glad to sense that repentance!
Though still a little bit of a tomboy, I see the girl in Ellie blooming here and there! When I bought her an adorable pair of pink Salt-Water sandals yesterday, she didn’t just walk in them but pranced around as if wanting everyone to notice her! I wasn’t allowed to take them off her when nap time came around! I can’t wait for future mother-daughter shopping trips!:)
Our first girl and the one who made me feel much needed confidence as a mother since, unlike Micah, she was a born mama’s girl. Our second precious treasure.

Amelia, 10 weeks old

I suppose there is only so much I can say about my 10 week old little girl but she’s simply a delight through and through. This season is short and so I enjoy every moment! Every moment of her sweet, gentle smiles. Her cooing as she sits kicking and reaching in her bouncy seat. Her complete dependence on me and the way her eyes follow me wherever I go! I am her world right now and my body carries her very means of sustenance. I am privileged!

Loved by her siblings, appropriately nicknamed “teeny tiny” by her Auntie Grace, my little girl who came 2 weeks earlier than we expected, Amelia has shown me my capacity to love is so much greater than I imagined! Our third treasure, just as prized and cherished.

13 Responses to My Children, My Treasures

1. Andria says:

LOVE this Susanna! Hope you don't mind if I use your idea for my blog! xoxo

No problem Andria! I actually copied the idea from my older sister and cousin!:)I look forward to reading about your 3 cuties!!

Thanks for the lovely post and photos…Can't wait to see you all in a few days! Mom

So precious. I really enjoyed this little glimpse into their personalities and who they are becoming.

Great to see the latest photos of the little guys. Less than two weeks now and we can see them face to face.Dad

6. Johannah says:

I am so glad I got to meet your precious kids. Each one of them is uniquely adorable. We will have to make sure we don't let too much time go by between visits so we can see each others kids grow.Love you, Jo

7. Anna says:

Your heart for your children is so transparent and beautiful. I wish I could come spend a day in your home with you and your littles. :)

8. Melissa Marini says:

In my opinion passion in a child unless destructive should never be tempered but nutured. But then that is just my opinion. :)

They are so cute Susanna…and they are growing so big!

Thanks for touching on the point of passion Melissa!Don't get me wrong…I LOVE Micah's passionate disposition. Some of the dearest names in the bible were men with very passionate dispositions: David, Daniel, Paul, Samson, etc. God used these men mightily. I just feel that it is my role with all my kids to encourage channeling their particular dispositions into areas that will bring blessing and glory to God. Such as channeling passion for example into interpersonal relationships, music and art as those seem like areas of particular strength for Micah.I believe my role as a parent is not to simply sit back and let my children decide how to walk in the particular character traits God has given them. It is my job to guide them and nurture them and, like I said, encourage them to channel their temperaments in ways that will bless them. I am not saying this is an easy job. I NEED God to guide me in this and every part of parenting. I need His wisdom. Without Him, I would have nothing to stand on but the wisdom of the age.

11. Melissa Marini says:

Susanna, I guess I miss-understood when you used the words "passionate disposition demands tempering". I just brought to mind visions of turning a child into a very submissive person. I have seen parents do that to kids. It broke my heart to see a kid who once had that passionate disposition and was a lively energetic child turn into a very weak child as he grew up. He was constanly being punished for wanting to explore or exert his independence. I guess those words just touched a nerve and brought to the front some heart breaking memories.I am sure you will not do that with Micah or any of your other kids.

Melissa, It's alright! I'm sure some of the reason there was a misunderstanding is because you haven't been able to get to know me/see me parenting the way you've been able to get to know my sisters so therefore, it would be easy to misunderstand. Lord willing, I will not break my little boy's spirit! None of us will ever do a perfect job…we will all look back and think we could have done a better job here and there… but my intention in everything is to love my kids and do what is best for them! Anyways, I would be happy to discuss this further by email or over messaging on Facebook if you have any further thoughts. Wish we could know each other better in person! Some visit to Atlanta perhaps I'll be able to see you and meet your precious twins!:)

13. Vanessa says:

Susanna – you have such a beautiful family!! I don't comment often – but your little ones: Micah, Ellie and Amelia are truly adorable (as if a Momma needs reminding of how adorable her kids are!) :)-Vanessa