Broken Things

For us, having kids has meant having many broken/semi-broken things. The list includes:
  • our camera
  • laptop (many keys missing)
  • cups
  • plates
  • hair bands…

The hair bands happened yesterday. Ellie pulled at an adorable pink band I often put on Amelia’s head and in a matter of seconds, it was ripped apart. Minutes later, she got her own plastic pink hair band and snapped it in half, bringing it to me…”here mommy” as if I’d be pleased with her work.

Oh, those moments when you just want to scream. I brought both hairbands with me and actually felt like I had a descent teaching moment with her about the fact that she should not have broken them, etc. I disciplined her not because I honestly think she’ll never do something like this again but because it is what I am called to do. The results are up to God and I just have to obey Him. Even if it often feels like a pretty fruitless exercise, I do it and know not doing it would be even more fruitless.

Broken things…all part of the parenting experience? Not for all perhaps. I am probably too casual sometimes around our own house but, at the end of the day, I am reminded of sanctification and where my treasure should be!:)

7 Responses to Broken Things

1. kate says:

I have to say I know too well what you are talking about. And it is good like you said to remember where our real treaure is. Sometimes you just want to scream or cry when things get broken.

Emma also has a compulsion to break hairbands…There have been many casualties. Mom

Unfortunately, I can also relate. Greta weekly adds to our "to be fixed" pile. And I also agree with you on using these opportunities to discipline/teach. It's a tough concept for little ones to learn the difference between worshipping an object for its own sake (materialism) and viewing our possessions as resources that we should be good stewards of. Ultimately our possessions hold no value because they are not eternal, yet taking care of our possessions shows respect and gratitude for what we have been given. An interesting paradox for sure!

"It's a tough concept for little ones to learn the difference between worshipping an object for its own sake (materialism) and viewing our possessions as resources that we should be good stewards of."Amen Adrienne! This is a tough concept to teach them!:)

Susanna, Pat always says "they destroy everything!" So I guess we have that to look forward to:)

6. Shannon says:

Mira has broken plenty as well. Two pairs of Maui Jim sunglasses. Yaaa…I only buy cheapy glasses now.

yes…much is broken. we learn to hold less to things of the world this way…i guess. emma and josh are my most "broken" kids….:)