The Lie of Modern Convenience

The 50’s woman no doubt thought the dishwasher was the best product man had ever invented. The thought that one machine would magically wash the dinner dishes…unthinkable in ages past. What a lifesaver! Or so she must have thought!

After having experienced three dysfunctional dishwashers…no make that four…since Rick and I got married, I am officially over the dishwasher. I’m ready to go back in time and wash the dishes myself. Just like I did as a girl when we either had no dishwasher or the ones we did have did a shabby job.

I’m tired of the embarrassment I feel when a guest is over and I reach into the cupboard to get them a glass and I see crumbs caked all over the cup, dried on by the dishwasher’s heat dry cycle. I’m tired of dishes that are semi clean. I want clean.

I’m even getting tired of the loading and unloading. That alone really doesn’t make it much of a time saver in my view…just get them over with I say and immediately back in the cupboard where they belong, glistening clean! No longer will it perpetuate my propensity towards procrastination. And I can feel the satisfaction of knowing I was responsible for making them sparkle with my very own hands!:)

So long dishwasher! As apartment renters, we can not throw you out but your constant presence no longer tempts me! I suppose I may use you every once in a while when I need to quickly get some dishes off the shelves but that is what you will remain, a hiding place every once in a while!

My apologies dishwasher if I have hurt your feelings…

Note: I don’t think I’ll ever look this happy while washing dishes!

The ad below made me laugh. Perhaps it was really for men that the dishwasher was invented!:)

8 Responses to The Lie of Modern Convenience

I have to say I love our dishwasher BUT if I didn't have it we wouldn't run out of glasses so frequently…I let stuff pile up in there but don't want to run it and waste water.

2. Becca says:

We had to replace our dishwasher in FL, and our new one was amazing. All I had to do was scrape dishes off, put them in, and then came out perfectly, sparkling clean.The brand new–literally (but cheaper than dirt, I imagine) dishwasher the landlords put in our rental in OH is the exact opposite. I run "heat dry," and I still have to dry every dish by hand. I scrub the dishes, put them in the dishwasher (can't explain why since I just washed them), and then sometimes I still have to wash them AGAIN after they come out of the dishwasher. I've just about given up on it, too! It feels like such a waste of time when it doesn't even do its job.

Good thinking! Mom

4. kate says:

I have never had a dishwasher butI know so many people who now have one and love it. We are getting one in our new house but I dont know if Ill like it or not. I dont mind washing dishes though. I do like having them hidden though. I guess ill have to wait and see.

I spent my morning de-crumbing my coffee mugs this morning. So, I share your sentiments. Does this really save me time? Not so sure!maryanne

Where did you find those pictures? They're incredible. You find such good ones.Mom R.

laughing….I grew up with 6 dishwashers in ONE house (well, technically 7!)…yep, that would be the six of us girls plus my mom! We bought a beautiful new home recently, that came with a dishwasher, and I wondered if I would like it. The verdict is….NOPE! I would much rather just DO the dishes, and DO them once. By the time they are rinsed off (or scrubbed off-which is certainly akin to WASHING DISHES anyway!), loaded, time elapses, unloaded, perhaps rewashed, and put away…might as well have just DONE them and be DONE with them :) Sure, they might be completely boiled to death in the dishwasher, but I also wonder how much water and electricity is wasted. It's perfectly decent work, too, washing dishes is, and a perfectly good job for children to work together on as they get older."When I grow up" (a favorite saying of mine) I don't want a dishwasher anymore :)evy