Cornered By God

Moses could have easily forsaken the calling God had for him. Standing in front of that burning bush, he doubted he was useful to His maker. “Lord,” he said. “”Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” But God said GO! He cornered his timid, insecure servant and there was no way out for Moses. He could have missed his calling but by God’s grace, he did not. So he went to Egypt.

(The four greatest blessings of my life, enjoying a day at Coney Island!)

How many times do I act like Moses though my words might go something more like this…“God, I’m not being a good mother. I have no clue. Who am I that you have made me a mother to such incredible children!” A few weeks ago, I was even thinking I would be better off in the workforce rather than staying home with our children full time. I was considering my escape routes from the calling God has given me and they were seeming quite tempting.

Gently, compassionately, God corners me though when I am feeling insecure and weak. Through His word and the counsel of other wise moms, He shows me I am relying on myself. I am surrendering my heart and soul to the foolishness of my wayward heart rather than clinging securely to His promises for me. In Him, in His strength, I am absolutely, fully equipped!

God said go and Moses did ultimately obey. He gave his life to be a servant…to serve and lead the Israelites, often such a thankless, disobedient group of people. If he could give of himself to lead thousands, I can give these years to a handful of little people who sin a lot but, oh ya, so do I!:)

When God corners us, He is being faithful to us. I pray that God will always corner me so that I will not forsake His voice. There is too much to lose by running and so much to gain by obeying.

6 Responses to Cornered By God

One of those weeks, huh? I'm sure it was just being overwhelmed with three:)

2. Johannah says:

Sus,Keep striving. These are moments of growth.Love you, Jo

Keep on keep on. Perseverance produces character. Such strong, tender character!maryanne

4. kate says:

I Love you. You have a beautiful way of capturing how you feel. And it is so true. I get that way often these days. I feel like i could just give up sometimes because i am tired but God speaks and thankfully i hear Him through someone or something and it kicks me right back into the right position and I trudge on. One beautiful smile or giggle from a beautiful little one and my heart melts and I forget all the toubles in the world for a time.

Love those closing words, Hon…Very well put! Mom

Thoughtfully articulated. Most of what we labor at throughout our time here on earth is so humdrum. But Christ's life was humdrum much of the time as well despite his absolutely unique calling. Every once in a while some unique figure enters history to stagger the world with their accomplishments. I am, of course, thinking of Al Gore.Dad