Baking With Ellie, Pt 2

I just need to say that I LOVE baking with my daughter!  I know I just wrote a post last week about our first intentional baking experience together…so excuse me if writing about baking with her again is lame.  I am simply so thankful to have found a way to connect with her and enjoy each other in such a way that can also give her valuable experience for the future.

Yesterday, we made Granola-To-Go bars.  Nothing exotic but they are delicious and healthy.  I was nibbling on them all afternoon!

The Granola-To-Go bars Recipe:

3-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats

1 cup chopped almonds

1 egg, beaten

2/3 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup honey

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup sunflower kernels

1/2 cup flaked coconut

1/2 cup chopped dried apples

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp  ground cinnamon

Combine oats and almonds in 15-in.by 10-in. by 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.

In a large bowl, combine the egg, butter, honey and vanilla.  Stir in the sunflower kernels, coconut, apples, cranberries, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Stir in oat mixture.

Press into a 15-in by 10-in by 1-in baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 13-18 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned.  Cool on a wire rack.  Cut into bars.  Store in airtight container.

So, what are some activities you do (or hope to do) with your children?  I always need fresh ideas!:)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Baking With Ellie, Pt 2

Fun, fun, fun! And they look delicious and are healthy. So proud of you for making this effort. (it’s go to be quite the effort to cook with one so tiny) I cannot wait to do the same thing with Cora. You are giving me some great future ideas.

PS she looks like a little fairy. So sweet.

3. Rick says:

These were REALLY good. Especially with the dried blueberries.

That recipe looks so yummy I’m definitely going to try it. I love granola anything. Ellie looks so proud of herself in that picture!

5. i bake no mixed brownies! I love doing anything with apples this time of year…fresh and healthy.

6. sarah k. says:

ooh im always looking for new granola recipes. im going to have to give this a try! thanks for posting! and i think it’s a great idea to bake w/your daughter..

7. Brenda says:

Sweet moments archived for years to come that is special! Not lame at all! For entertaining little ones we have made our own play dough which has turned out nicer than store bought. Also, for days when energy and imagination was low I would quickly whip up a sink full of dish soap bubbles, fill plastic bowls, cups etc. and let a child to it at the table or in a high chair. Replenishing the supply as needed. Not edible ideas but hours of quiet, pleasant entertainment!

8. Megha says:

How sweet :) I’ve tried baking many times with Taran, but he has an aversion to messy fingers (strange for a little boy, huh?). Our latest venture is Legos. We get him the little Lego vehicles and he and I put them together after dinner. The instructions are pictorial, so really, he’s doing most of the work. And he’s so proud of his creations when he finishes! I love seeing that.

Love to see you doing things together…