Pyromaniac Meets Kitchen

According to Wikipedia, pyromania is an impulse to deliberately start fires to relieve tension and typically includes feelings of gratification or relief afterward.  Well, though I may not have intentionally tried to burn our apartment down Saturday night (and fires may not bring me happy feelings;) I felt like a pyromaniac none the less and while attempting to bless my precious baby daughter with flawless baking skills, I instead came face to face with a rice infestation!   The absurdity of the situation was enough to keep me laughing at myself…God keeping me humble!

This is what happened…

1.  I left a big bag of open rice on our stove top and turned the stove on in order to bake the cake.  Heat came up through the vent on the stove top and began melting the rice bag.  Rice then began pouring from the whole in the bag into the vent, into the oven.   Oblivious  to what was going on, I went downstairs for a few minutes.  When I came back upstairs, there was smoke spreading all through the upper floor of our apartment and there were little popping sounds in the oven.

After freaking out, I put the bag of rice on the counter top, right next to the cake batter and thus, rice spoiled the cake batter

My dear husband had the ingenious idea of vacuuming the rice out of the oven!

Yet Somehow, by God’s grace, we had a cake!  I stayed up late Saturday night re baking and iced the cake yesterday.  I loved using this cake recipe from Real Simple magazine…

Our little birthday girl did not eat her cake but she had a fun time playing with it!

(beautiful bib hand-made by Auntie Maryanne)

The family loved the cake by all accounts so a Saturday night disaster was redeemed!

Our card for Amelia and some of her gifts…

(I’d wear these things if they were my size:)

Another 1st birthday…my kids are growing up WAY too fast!  Oh, and if you come over to our place, please excuse the lingering burned rice scent!:)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Pyromaniac Meets Kitchen

1. Brenda says:

Congratulations on celebrating a first birthday! May God continue to bless your growing family and provide for all you are in need of. You have been through a lot together in Amelia’s short life time. God has blessed you through the trials, and may he continue to allow you to be a blessing to others. Thankful your baking incident was not more serious.

So glad the cake turned out in the end. Couldn’t help but laugh:) Sweet pictures. So glad she’s been blessed with one year of life!

Oh my goodness. That is a hilarious story! I’m so glad you were able to still bake the cake. These first birthdays are important after all. Happy Birthday, Amelia!

4. Kim Vinson says:

First, Happy Birthday to sweet Amelia. Wow- I can’t believe it’s been a year like you said. The first year seems to go by SO fast. Second, praise God you guys are okay. It’s great that you can laugh about it now, but I’m sure there were some moments when you thought otherwise. Whew- what a great story though : )

5. Happy Birthday to Amelia…so precious :) I love rice in cake and burning rice bag stories. LOL! Despite the rice fiasco, at least you attempted at making a cake. I’m useless in the kitchen.

6. Aileen says:

Honestly, that is the best story and one you will remember forever! Amelia looks adorable in those pics. Can’t wait to see her in person!!!

You mean that rice fell into the cake batter second time round?…Love the pictures!

8. Sounds like Amelia’s birthday was quite an adventure! Glad everything turned out well in the end and such adorable pictures! Can’t wait to see you in a couple of weeks!

9. Anna says:

Ahh, the good thing about these kinds of stories is we can immortalize them and laugh about them on our blogs later! That SO sounds like something I would do! Glad everything was ok. Happy birthday to sweet Amelia!

10. j challies says:

Amelia sure looked like she was enjoying herself. Your kitchen escapade sounds quite overwhelming. Now Rick will be prepared for the future fifty years from now when you be forgetting about the stove being on.

Dad

11. Beth says:

Hello,
    I came across your blog through your brother’s blog and enjoyed reading about your experiences as a mom aiming to please Christ. I am a Christian and a mom as well as a neuroscientist focusing on pediatrics. If you would like to use me as a resource on the topic of your gorgeous daughter Amelia, please feel free. As a person who is currently under treatment for breast cancer, I know that unsolicited medical advice can be rude, I just wanted to offer my services. I regularly come aside families to navigate medical situations. My email is nehemiah179@yahoo.com if you wish to contact me.
    Beth