10 Day Prayer Challenge for Amelia

We are asking special intercession for Amelia over the next 10 days. We would like to cover her with prayer for each meal.

On the advice of the Gastroenterologist we will take her off the feeding tube for 10 days and make very intensive feeding attempts over that time to see if she can sustain herself. This is a final effort to avoid the surgical stomach tube (g-tube) – which would be an invasive procedure requiring a 7-10 day hospital stay.

In the last month Amelia has made some progress with feeding and has proven capable of spoon feeding and bottle feeding – though not particularly cooperative. In Atlanta last week she took a full bottle for the first time, she fairly consistently takes about 1/3 of a baby food container at meals, and sometimes nibbles on her own at rolls or other finger food. She needs to step up her intake from small amounts to sustainable levels.

The primary impediments right now are first, her thumb – which is always in her mouth. Worse is her need to stick her thumb in her mouth so fast between each bite and each sip from the bottle that she does not have time to swallow and it dribbles back out. Second, she still does not always swallow with her tongue properly. If you imagine a swallowing motion with your tongue making a wave shape moving front to back in order to push food to the back, she will do the opposite and push the food out.

Please join us in prayer

As the issue at stake is feeding and the stomach – we thought fasting and prayer on her behalf would be entirely appropriate. We covet your prayers on behalf of our “Ya-ya” and are asking people to commit to a particular meal to fast and/or pray.

I’ve created a Google Doc for people to fill out their name in an available slot. Please go to the link below (If you have any problems with the Google Doc, just leave a comment here with the day/time.)

We know our Father who can send Manna from heaven to feed all of Israel, and who can feed 5000 from 2 loaves can certainly feed and sustain our little girl

I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst – John 6:35

*Thank you to everyone who has been praying faithfully these past months!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to 10 Day Prayer Challenge for Amelia

1. karla says:

Hi Susanna and Rick. I’m not sure I can fast for a meal right now (in the middle of intense work training), but I hope it will be ok if I can pray at each meal that she will be strengthened and learn how to take her meals and that God will strengthen and protect her. Pasha has just now prayed for her and I have as well. We love you and you are in our hearts and prayers!

2. Rick says:

Thanks Karla! And I didn’t mean to imply this is only for fasting, totally ok for people to take a slot to pray but not fast!

3. Anna says:

I’m taking a slot to pray as well. I would fast if I wasn’t pregnant. Thankful for the opportunity to lift up sweet Amelia as others are doing the same.

4. Jason says:

will remember you guys in prayer

5. Susanna says:

Thank you so much Karla, Anna, Jason and everyone else who is signing up to pray! We are so thankful we are not in this alone and that there are so many brothers and sisters out there ready to lift our precious daughter up to the Lord along with us!

THANK YOU and THANK YOU Lord for being available 24/7, every day of our lives that we might bring every thing to you and put our lives and the lives of our children in YOUR loving hands!!

6. Signed up to pray all through the day today- Emma prays for Amelia daily.

And will pray all Monday next week too.

Love you guys!

7. Jason Clarke says:

Hey Rick & Susanna,

I’m very glad to hear of the progress your daughter has made. I cannot commit to any of the time slots in the spreadsheet, but I will be praying for continuously throughout the day.

Blessings,
    Jason

8. Lynne says:

Hi Susanna, I’m the strange name that appeared in the Tuesday morning prayer/fasting spot. I’m Zac’s mom. Our small group will pray too.

Was praying for her right before I read this and will definitely take a slot on the prayer list. Love her so much…and am like Anna. Will not be able to fast due to pregnancy…but will pray, pray, PRAY!

10. I will try and specifically remember her at each of our mealtimes…. So, so hard for you as her parents :( Praying for you too x

11. Melody says:

Teague and I will be praying! May the Lord give you even more wisdom and grace in caring for your precious little Amelia!

12. Becca K. says:

I signed up for Tuesday lunch to pray (7 months pregnant, so no fasting from food)! I love how the Body is surrounding you in this. Loved how the Body came alongside us with Asa’s issues. Praying, praying, praying!

13. Johannah says:

Sus and Rick,
    I will fast and pray every evening from 6:00 until I fall asleep. I am eager to offer up thanks and petition for your precious girl.
    Love, Jo

Rick & Susanna,

We’ve signed up for a couple of slots and will be praying daily too. Just lifted up Amelia this morning when I had devotions with the girls. Love you guys.

15. Dave Heuthe says:

We will be praying for you and Amelia. With our work schedule it’s hard to know particular days and times for fasting but we will do that as we can . God bless you all

16. Susanna says:

Thank you everyone…thank you! We have so many people coming before the throne of God with us that we feel so incredibly secure and comforted in God’s love and care!

And we will be praying for God’s blessings upon you all for caring so much about us and our Amelia!

We love you!

17. Will pray for Amelia every day!

18. Rick and Susanna,

I’ve been praying for Amelia daily, and I will
    continue and do some fasting as well.Stay
    strong, God will cause everything to work out in your favor. Remember He promised
    never to leave or forsake you. Keep the
    faith,

Love in Christ,

Richard L Fisher

19. Melissa says:

God’s will is being done, and will continue to be done as he sees fit. He already has a complete plan set in place. It is out of your hands, and usually that is a huge comfort to me! I pray for peace and comfort for you as parents in dealing with whatever comes your way with Amelia day by day. Please keep us posted.

20. Will keep Amelia in my prayers.
    I can sort of understand what you are going thru. While we have not had the severity of the issues you are facing, we have had our challenges with Ethan. Mealtime is a constant struggle with him and he constantly weighs in under the fifth percentile for his age. Despite all that he is a happy healthy baby and for that I am grateful.

Remember this too shall pass. If God brought you to this, he will bring you thru this.

The day will come when Amelia will be a strong healthy girl and all this will be a thing of the past. So hang in there and stay strong.

21. Just for your ongoing encouragement. We are remembering her at each mealtime – different timezones to you, but that is of no consequence to our Heavenly Father x

22. We are excited to join you all in prayer for sweet little Amelia! Micah, Amelia and I will be praying specifically for your Amelia each night at dinner. We will also be praying for you all over these next days as the Lord leads us.

23. I saw this from Grace’s page. Amelia and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! We pray that she reaches these milestones that are so easily taken for granted and also for strength and patience for you both as parents!

24. Pingback: RickandSusanna » Day 2: Fasting So She Can Feast

25. Hi Susanna and Rick, I follow Tim Challies on twitter and have joined in prayer and fasting for your little Amelia. She has really touched my heart and there are many others that I have asked to pray as well. You all are in my prayers.