Homeschooling in Brooklyn

On Monday, we got the curriculum we had ordered from “My Father’s World” and it was like Christmas.  Beautiful books galore and Micah actually cried when I told him we couldn’t start everything right away!  Like many parents, we teach Micah a lot at home simply from day to day but next year, we want to make it feel more “official” and so we decided to order a curriculum package and really start feeling like we are doing a more organized homeschool.  We didn’t know how Micah would take the news at first as he has been going to a small Christian school nearby but he is full of enthusiasm and fortunately, Rick will be able to teach him certain subjects as well which Micah is thrilled about!  He keeps asking, “you and daddy will both be my teachers?”  Yes, Rick  is going to be right there with me to help wherever he can, when he can…I am so blessed.  I don’t think I could even conceive of the idea if I did not have a husband desiring to have a lot of involvement as well!

I have some reservations in sharing this information because I do not want it to seem that we think homeschooling is “the way of all ways.”    I know it is not.  And we are not striving to keep our children “out of the world” or attempting to be hip and different.  Rick was homeschooled and had an awesome experience  so we just want to try it this year and see how it goes!  Like many things in life, I look at this as a one year at a time type thing, at least at this point.  I want to be optimistic but I also do not want to play God so right now, I’m just happy to say we’ll see how this year goes!

We have quite fallen for the curriculum (which doesn’t hurt) so in truth, much of my reason for wanting to write this post is to show off the books we got!  I love pretty books and that is one reason I chose this particular curriculum! I could not be excited about teaching if I had to use books lacking in beauty and color.  In other words, I’m not going to be picking ABeka homeschooling books any time soon!  AND, “My Father’s World” provides an awesome, day by day lesson guide so I do not have to come up with lesson plans on my own.   To me, this is perfect and removes a lot of the stress as a newbie homeschooler.

So, never a dull moment in this house, that’s for sure.  For those who might be considering homeschooling but aren’t sure, feel free to follow us in our first year and see us learn by much trial and error…and hopefully succeed along the way!:)

At the GHEA homeschooling convention in Atlanta last month…

Micah’s a blessed by.  Here is some of the books from his “My Father’s World” curriculum package

Micah and Ellie have been having tons of fun with this creative activity!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Homeschooling in Brooklyn

1. Looking forward to hearing all about it! Glad you have made your decision!

2. Shirley Rose says:

Love the books. Also looks like a good fun time.

Those books look great! Glad he’s excited.

I’m really excited for you guys and look forward to hearing all about it this fall. I’ve always admired homeschoolers!

5. Mom R. says:

The books look great! Once you use great, colorful books, with awesome literature, you’ll never look at “ordinary” ones the same. Brings back memories of Stephanie getting so excited when her books came over the summer. She could never wait until fall either; she’d start reading right away. I’m so glad Micah is so excited too! I bet he will love it, and Ellie will probably learn right beside him. :) Have fun!

6. Those are beautiful books! Hope homeschooling goes well next year and happy that Micah’s so excited!

7. Joanne says:

We just finished our first year homeschooling – Kindergarten for our daughter, Grace. We LOVED it! Challenging at times but so rewarding. I would not have traded it for anything. Good luck and have fun!

8. I love that you have made your decision about homeschooling. What I am most impressed by is your ability to have an open mind. There are major benefits to homeschooling and most parents don’t have the opportunity to even consider it with having to work so much. So I’m glad that you are taking a run at it and I respect the fact that you have an open mind about the Christian school board should homeschooling just not be what you expect it to be. Way to go Susanna!

Beautiful books!

10. Sue says:

It’s a wonderful thing to feel the books, to smell the new book smell, and to pass the love on to the little ones.

11. Vanessa says:

Hi Susanna,

So I know this is quite and old post — but I am planning on homeschooling Henry next year (taking it one day at a time). Because I have not chosen to enroll him in kindergarten I have been researching curriculum (I guess I’m a keener, since we’re not starting until Sept).

All that to say, we are heavily leaning towards My Father’s World Kindergarten — from the pics it looks like Micah did the first grade.

Although the years are different, what were your overall observations. Would you use it again. Do you knwo of anyoen who has used and loved/hated the K program? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
    Vanessa
    vanessavandermeer@gmail.com

PS — your cousin Katie (Millar) van der Meer is my best friend and sister-in-law :)